Here is my latest completed project.
I made this quilt for my mother-in-law. She has a bedroom in her house painted dark blue (actually the 3rd darkest blue in the quilt) and I matched the fabric to her walls. The pattern was inspired by Marcia Hohn's Red Herrings block from quilterscache.com. The biggest difference is that I didn't think I had time to paper piece, so I drew it up in EQ5, went fabric shopping for about a week, and then strip-pieced it.
Putting the blocks together was something of a challenge because I'm not a perfect quilter or block-trimmer and when I had my blocks sewn together into sets of two, I noticed that some of the white triangles (now diamonds) differed in hypotenuse width by as much as a half inch! I got around this by measuring across each diagonal, marking it as too big, too small, or just right with different colored pins, and then matching up the pin colors. So in the end, it worked out marvelously!
Then, I sent the quilt to my sister to quilt (you can see her quilts at ahhhquilting.blogspot.com). I was afraid to ask her to quilt in the ditch along every one of the seam lines because I knew it would take a long time. She must be a mind reader, though, because that's exactly what she did. And it looks just like I hoped it would!
Enjoy the Festival!