Monday, October 15, 2012

Better late than never :D

Ok, wow.  So, it's been a really really long time since I last posted.  I have a bunch of quilts I want to get out from under foot and/or off of my teeny tiny sewing table....so I figured I'd better start posting!  Here is the first of them.

 This is the quilt I just made for my new(-ish) nephew (who is probably crawling by now).  
Better late than never, though, right?  

Before making this quilt, I had never attempted to piece minky.  It was, shall we say, interesting.  After I sewed my rectangles in to rows, I thought, "What's the big deal with minky? This isn't THAT bad to sew."  Yeah...then I sewed the rows together and I understood.  S-t-r-e-a-t-c-h-y.  Yikes.  My walking foot kept freaking out and skipping stitches (though that may have been a machine-cleaning and maintenance issue).  
 
In the end, it all turned out okay and I even had some fun adding some applique stars which happened to match the backing perfectly.

I made the stars out of ironed bumpy minky (which I guess would just make it minky, then, huh?)  Anyway...mostly I ironed it because I was curious about exactly why one quilt shop I visited about five years ago had a billion signs around their store that said DO NOT IRON BUMPY MINKY.  And you know how I am...I've though about those signs every time I've encountered minky for the past five years.  And then...I ironed it!  It ended up working out splendidly for my application.

 And I really love how the red stars tie the minky side together with the backing.


2 comments:

  1. Cute! You're so funny...I know you've just been waiting for some bumpy minky that you could iron! I think it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute! I like the happy colors and how you placed the stars around. The backing is a nice surprise. What happens to the (flat) bumpy minky when you wash & dry it?

    ReplyDelete