Sunday, September 1, 2013

I'm at it again!

I think making quilts for Project Linus might be an addiction.  Even when I don't really intend to do it, I end up doing it anyway.  This time, I was acting out of guilt.  See, a long time ago, someone donated some AWESOME blue and turquoise fabric to our local Project Linus chapter.  This fabric was passed along to me to turn in to something amazing.  I've been looking at it trying to decide what to do with it for, um, probably 4 years now.

Then, while browsing the last Bloggers' Quilt Festival photos, I found the perfect pattern.  It's a paper piecing pattern by Sassafrass Lane Designs called Lombard Street.  The problem was, it was such a huge pain in the tail and looked SO good when I got done that I didn't want to give it away.  Instead, I just decided to trade a yard of QSQ fabric from my stash and make another (smaller) paper-pieced quilt to donate.  So this is what some lucky kiddo is getting.



The one with the awesome blue and turquoise fabric is still waiting to be quilted and bound.  I'm planning to put cuddle fleece on it like I did with this one.  I just ordered more 505 Spray Adhesive (very important, see below).


I decided to do a scrappy binding and (even though I'm historically not a huge fan of scrappy bindings) I think it turned out pretty well.  I sewed around the outsides of all the triangles with my sewing machine.  There's no batting in this quilt...just minky on the back, so it's light and summery.

And then, with the leftovers from the triangle quilt, I made this:


See how fabric-sheary and bubbly it looks?  Yeah, THAT is what happens when you use cuddle fleece on the back of a quilt and don't use spray adhesive to stick the layers together first.  Ohhh well.  Live and learn.


1 comment:

  1. How did I miss these? SO cute! I love the triangles! And good way to use up the leftover fabric too! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete