Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Interleave Fun!

Hi Bloggers!

It's Blogger's Quilt Festival, so it's time for my annual blog post :) Life has been busy but I did have a bit of time to quilt last spring. This quilt has a fun origin story.  Sometime last year, my mother in law came over and asked me if I knew of any good quilt shops.  I told her I did and she said she wanted to go see if any of them were selling any of the quilts they had on display.  I was like, "Umm....I can make you a quilt."  Bless her heart, she gave me carte blanche on basically everything about this quilt (as well as a nice little check so I could go buy fabric) :)




I had recently been looking online at interleave quilts by Lorrie Cranor.  She has some instructions for how to make some fun little ones out of fat quarters.  I tried that out, figured out some techniques that would scale a little better for me, designed it in inkscape, redesigned it in inkscape a few more times, finally found a design I liked, made a few mock-ups and started sewing.  




This was a serious labor of love and it took a bit longer than I anticipated to put it together.  I though it would be easier since it's technically a quilt as you go with all straight lines and I didn't have to figure out how to finish/quilt it.  But putting that much bulk through my machine (even with its bigger-than-average throat size) got to be a little bit of a wrestling match at times.  





This is a full size quilt and measures approximately 80 x 86.  There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 172 or 173 strips altogether---each 1/2 inch finished.  And, as you can see if you look closely, this quilt was constructed with all straight lines.  Any curves you see are an optical illusion.  Cool, huh?





Thanks for letting me share my quilt with you!  Hope you're all enjoying all the amazing Blogger's Quilt Festival quilts!



mail


23 comments:

  1. That is so cool! And very clever too. I hope your mother in law loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool effect and fun colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't imagine what you had to do to make this quilt! It's fabulous! I would love to see what you're making throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not a quilt. This is a masterpiece. It is the best example of quilt art that I have ever seen. I wish I could say it is an inspiration but it is more than that. It is awe-inspiring. If I could make just one quilt for the rest of my life, I hope it is this one. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowsa!!! I reckon your MIL got her money’s worth and then some! This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is amazing! I have had something similar on my "Quilt Dreams" list for awhile! Love the colors and the illusion of curves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work sis! So impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing quilt ... love the hard and soft shapes

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the most amazing quilt ever!!! Love the colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not just cool, it's mind-blowing! The colour choices are brilliant and the accuracy of piecing is to envy. Your mother-in-law is one lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool design! Now I'm intrigued with the technique (down another rabbit hole!). Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very funky! You chose your colors extremely well. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt caught my eye as soon as I looked through the linky party. Absolutely stunning! Love the interplay of the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so incredible. I have wanted to figure out how to make one on a small scale but I loooove it in large scale. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. "My annual blog post" - you crack me up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is phenomenal! I love designs that trick your eye into thinking they are something else. Your mother in law must be ecstatic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really cool. Denise@fortheloveofgeese

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have seen similar type quilts only in magazines....thought sure it must have been a computerized picture. You have done a fabulous job!!! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have made an interleaved quilt wallhanging and this totally blows my mind! Astonishing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen a quilt like this - yours is beautiful. So mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a fantastic quilt. Very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete